Oh my goodness – that’s what I’m talking about!
I don’t have much time, but the Supergirl Season 2 premiere deserves a double thumbs up.
No offense to Henry Cavill who has done his best with crappy, gloomy material but Supergirl has now given us not only a great Kara Danvers but also a fun, and funny, Superman! I haven’t been this giddy about an episode of television in a long time.
It also didn’t hurt that there were multiple geek shoutouts to the original Christopher Reeve Superman film, and that Cat Grant’s crush on Clark Kent (along with a quick reference to Dean Cain’s character) gave me Lois and Clark flashbacks.
Nicely done CW – can’t wait for more.
So the DC TV universe has hinted that the CW shows will probably have some massive crossover event this year. Here’s my wishlist for that event:
- For the adventure plot to be character based – and centered around a character or characters we know and love- like Kara, Barry, Oliver, Ray, Cisco, Felicity, or Caitlin etc. I’d rather not see it used just to further some new character or villain.
- At least one “Super” in-joke between Brandon Routh’s Ray Palmer and the Supergirl gang.
- That we get to see John Diggle’s reaction to Supergirl – both the flying and the fact that she’s an alien (apparently David Ramsey said he wanted this too so I’m hopeful)
- Maybe a sort of “nerds united” vibe – with the mega brain trust of Winn, Felicity, Curtis, Cisco, Ray, & Dr. Stein.
- If someone (or they themselves) could notice that Kara and Felicity have a lot in common that could be fun. A simple “I love your glasses” would be enough.
- I’d like to see one of our heroes be really out of their element and have to deal with that – Kara dealing with being in another universe or Oliver having to deal with being a normal human in the midst of all these powered folks.
- Honestly, even if this just happens and I get to see Oliver, Barry, and Kara on screen together in some way – I’ll be very happy.
Just a little exercise to see if I could be succinct for once 🙂 This list is based on nothing but my own, “Hey, I think he/she is pretty awesome” criteria.
#10 The Atom/Ray Palmer
Genius, Optimist, Nerd
#9 Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff
Tenacious, Dry-Witted, Assassin
#8 Captain America/Steve Rogers
Patriotic, Loyal, Fossil
#7 Professor X/Charles Xavier
Wise, Telepathic, Wheels
#6 Hawkeye/Clint Barton
Sassy, Everyman, Archer
#5 Supergirl/Kara Zor-El Danvers
Adorkable, Powerful, Committed
Indestructible Claws Bub
#3 The Flash/Barry Allen
Sincere, Lightning, Geek
#2 Green Arrow/Oliver Queen
Stubborn, Smart-Aleck, Survivor
#1 Superman/Clark Kent
Original, Incorruptible, Hero
Today The Flash announced that Tom Felton of Harry Potter fame will be joining the series as a cast regular. Now we get to wonder – good guy or bad guy?
Honestly, one of the most awesome things about the DC TV universe is that they seem to revel in cross-fandom friendly casting. Wonder Woman Linda Carter is joining Supergirl to play the President of the United States. Between Arrow and Legends there are four different members of the Doctor Who cast playing regular or recurring roles. Heck Arthur Darvill even plays a “Time Master.”
They also don’t shy away from fun winks and nudges to the origins of the actors, especially on The Flash. When Star Wars’s Mark Hamill played a villain he got to evilly cackle the famous, “I Am Your Father” line. And the first time Superman Brandon Routh’s character Ray Palmer was introduced it was with the classic “Is that a bird? Is that a plane?”
Yes I’m a nerd. And it’s so so awesome.
This has definitely been a week of thinking about how women are depicted in the superhero genre. I’ve been listening to a kind of weird audio book about the creator of Wonder Woman (more on that tomorrow) and it got me pondering on this phrase –
“Like a Girl” is traditionally used as an insult – but I’ve seen some great geek art lately that turns that idea on it’s head. I thought the DC TV “girls” deserved their own version, and I couldn’t find one. So made my own.
Probably the only time I’ll contribute to Fan Art Friday – but I wanted to share.
Long live the nerdgirls.
Couldn’t wait for Saturday on this one.
Supergirl is going to have someone pretty cool in the first two episodes of season two.
Makes sense that her cousin might stop by sometime. Yay!!!
Let’s just hope this one smiles occasionally.